NAGC Communicator of the Year
Nominations Have Closed for 2014 NAGC Communicator of the Year
Each year, NAGC awards a government communicator who has helped instill public trust by effectively presenting accurate, timely and meaningful information, sometimes under exceptional circumstances. The award is presented at the annual NAGC Communications School, which will take place this year in Washington, DC.
Each year, NAGC asks for nominations of outstanding individuals whom you believe to be the most effective in delivering a government organization’s message within the last year. The award recipient will join a long list of past honorees, including:
- Carl A. Fillichio, Senior Advisor for Communications and Public Affairs, for improving the security of the print media “lock up” at the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Judy Gish, California Department of Transportation, for the successful communication of the I-405 freeway closure in Los Angeles, averting “Carmaggedon.”
- U.S. Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen (Ret.), National Incident Commander during the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Linda Wilson, I-64 Community Relations Manager, Missouri Department of Transportation, for handling the closing down of a major interstate highway to 2.5 million residents of a metropolitan region to replace 10 miles of Interstate 64 in St. Louis.
- David Walker, former Comptroller General of the United States, for sounding the warning about government finances.
- Max Mayfield, Director of the National Hurricane Center in Miami, Florida.
Eligible nominees must have communicated the message for a government entity’s project/incident during the prevoius calendar year. Additional criteria include:
- The individual must have generated substantial media coverage for her/his government entity.
- The individual must have been in compliance with the NAGC Code of Ethics in performing government duties with truth, accuracy, fairness, responsibility and accountability to the public.
- The individual may be an NAGC member or non-member. (NAGC National Board members are ineligible.)
Carl A. Fillichio, Senior Advisor for Communications and Public Affairs at the U.S. Department of Labor, has been named NAGC's 2013 Communicator of the Year. The award was presented at the 2013 NAGC Communications School.
“NAGC is proud to honor the U.S. Department of Labor's Carl Fillichio as its Communicator of the Year,” said NAGC President Glen Thomas. “Among his many accomplishments was establishing groundbreaking new policies and procedures for releasing sensitive economic data to the public. Fillichio successfully navigated a number of challenges throughout this process, and established himself as an industry leader in government communications.” Download the NAGC news release to learn more.